Wednesday, August 22, 2007

dancing pinoys

The stereotypical Filipino is always happy and can sing and dance really well, or so I've been told by many non-Filipinos outside the Philippines. I guess I don't fit the stereotype because I am usually the customer from hell (when people are rude to me) and I can neither sing on key nor dance with grace. But anyway...I think there is some truth to the stereotype. Many Filipinos are born performers. In most countries I have visited, there is invariably a Filipino band singing covers in a fancy hotel lobby. And then there are the dancers...

I was in the Fort the other day and for the first time in ages, I saw a dancing cop. It's so refreshing to see someone enjoy his job. I wonder if he does his own choreography. I didn't have my camera on me so here's a dancing cop video link from YouTube. Don't you wish all traffic cops were this entertaining?

Since I arrived in Manila a few days ago, I have been hounded by the story of the dancing inmates from Cebu. Instead of doing calisthenics, 1,500 inmates from the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center perform choreographed dances in unison to songs ranging from "Thriller" by Michael Jackson (over 5 million views), to "I Will Follow Him" from the movie Sister Act (complete with a Whoopi Goldberg lookalike dressed in a nun's habit), to "Radio Gaga" by Queen.

Enjoy!

p.s. Here are more links:
Background Info on the Inmates
Complete Videos

No comments: